Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 17: Rally This Sunday!

"“Let the little children come to me
and do not hinder them,
for to such belongs the
kingdom of heaven." (Mt. 19:14)
We are almost halfway through our 40 Days together this fall, and already we have many stories of God's blessings to share!  

Come to Halfway Rally Sunday!
Join other 40 Days for Life prayer volunteers this Sunday, October 16, at 3pm, for brief prayer and reflection at the vigil site (2839 Duke Street, Alexandria). Come to share campaign stories, pray, and sing together! We will have pro-life signs and flyers you can take -- and remaining vigil hours that are still empty! The rally should last around half an hour to forty-five minutes.

Here are a few reports and comments from prayer volunteers:
  • "One lady in car with daughter (who was driving) said I should not be there because I was a man and did not know what it was like. I said several times that we love both mother and child.. That did no good, so I simply said 'peace be with you,' smiled, and they drove away. I understand they came back around but I was consecrating on the prayers and did not notice them. I saw more than several people who looked disturbed by our presence (in cars), and others trying not to 'notice' us at all. I look forward to going back tomorrow!" -- Rev. Robert
  • "A man yelled as he drove by, 'Stop worrying about others.' A mailman stopped his truck and said, 'The peace of the Lord be with you.' A policeman on a motorcycle called out, 'Thank you!' as he drove past. Some waved and smiled as they passed." -- Mary Ellen
  • "I've really enjoyed the vigil. I was there many hours on Friday, but I didn't want to leave. I think when I left my last shift, there must have been like 8-10 people praying there." -- Marie
  • "The time was filled with prayer and contemplation, with several positive affirmations from passersby. I departed at 1300, turning over all to Maria. Another group arrived as I was leaving." -- Marty
  • "All was quiet and our youngest had at least 30 smiles and thumbs-ups and passersby were cordial and positive." -- Maria
As we can see, the vigil is a place of spiritual challenge as well as blessings and peace in a place that dearly needs it. I invite you, if possible, to help fill remaining hours on our vigil calendar by contacting Mary Ellen (703-780-2922, maryellen.40days@verizon.net), or visiting www.vigilcalendar.com/alexandria. Many thanks for all your prayers and support! 

One matter of housekeeping: It has come to our attention that several prayer volunteers have received complaints about standing or placing materials on the grass next to the sidewalk. Our leadership team has discussed this, and would like to request as a matter of course, please limit yourself to the sidewalk when praying at the vigil. We do not want to cause undue tension with the local business owners. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation! 

As I meet so many committed prayer volunteers at the vigil site, and get reports of people signing up, showing up, and volunteering to help in this life-saving effort, I am grateful and appreciative for all your prayer and support. Your witness for life is an inspiration both to me and to others! I'm looking forward to seeing you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment