Thursday, May 5, 2011

Some Additional Accounts, Spring 2011: Part One

Jacinta,

Here is my account of what happened on Tuesday:

I arrived at the Duke Street clinics at 11:30 just as the rain stopped and the sun came out. No one was there which surprised me because throughout the 40 days I have always been there with someone. I was holding my sign when a large white van turned into the parking lot and the driver waved at me. He was a young man with more braids than Bob Marley! A few minutes later I turned around and saw the driver and his friend walking toward me. "I saw your sign. Is there an abortion clinic here." he asked. "Yes, there are two," I said. "Oh, that is terrible," he said. He then told me he had dropped off a 16-year-old girl at the clinic. He was to wait for her. He asked me if he could stand with me. He said, "Do you have another sign?" I went to my car, grabbed another sign and some literature for him to give to the girl. We talked some more. The driver is Jerry. His friend is Jeffrey. Jerry said, "I am off on Fridays. Could I come here then and will someone have a sign?" I said that we would love to have him, his friend and anyone else join us. I told him that 40% of all black babies are aborted; he was shocked. I asked for his phone number which he wrote on one of our pro-life pamphlets.

Since that meeting I have talked with Jerry twice. He does not know what the girl will do but he did give her the literature. He is planning to come to the vigil site tomorrow around 10 o"clock. Unfortunately, I can't be there tomorrow but I told him I would meet him on Good Friday at 10 o'clock and any Friday thereafter. He was enthusiastic about the suggestion. I have contacted Liam and he will look for Jerry tomorrow as will Debby whom I just met today. Mary Ellen suggested that we invite Jerry to the Sunday celebration. That would be great.

I should have known that something good would happen when the sun appeared from the clouds. I am so glad I was on the sidewalk with my sign.

Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment