Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Please Pray for Anna

Last Sunday night I had the opportunity and blessing of seeing an 11-year old girl -- I'll call her Anna -- who is dying of cancer due to a brain tumor. Her parents were very generous towards 40 Days for Life last fall even though their family was dealing with this serious affliction. Anna's mother notified a group of us that Anna wanted to speak to us that evening.

As we gathered in the family room, Anna spoke up: "I have something to say to you."

"Last Thursday," she continued, in a clear but hesitant voice, "I had an appointment with my doctors. It was revealed"--here she paused for a moment--"that I am going to die."

Silence followed. We listened intently, our eyes fixed on Anna's face.

"In other words," she continued, "my tumor grew... and my doctors can't fix it."

Several of us thanked Anna for sharing this news with us, and assured her that we would be praying for her. After sharing a time of prayer together, we took a few pictures, and gave Anna a hug good-bye.

We don't know how much longer Anna will be with us, but we will be praying for her in a special way during her final days, and will miss her when she has gone. I would like to ask each of you to take a moment and pray for her as well. Anna is a believer in the value and dignity of human life -- and, like each child in the womb, her life is extremely precious before God. Though God's plan might seem confusing at times, or fail to meet our expectations, we know that God is a loving and merciful Savior, and has room in His Heart for all little children. Let us make room in our hearts for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment